Monday, January 12, 2009

Now I've seen everything!

Well, not really, of course.

I just happen to have seen something that I had not previously seen in China - although perhaps the surprise should be rather that I have not witnessed such a thing in my 6 years here than that I did witness it today.

This lunchtime I saw a man riding a motorcycle over a pedestrian footbridge.

He was a pizza delivery guy, and he appeared to have turned the wrong way down Tsinghua Donglu. Since the widening and redevelopment of this street a year or two ago, there is a high fence partitioning the two carriageways. However - as anyone even vaguely familiar with the area should surely know - there are one or two breaks in this fence where you can turn into side streets or entrances on the other side, or pull a U-ey. There was one such turning opportunity only 200 yds or so beyond the footbridge that the motorcyclist decided to use instead. He should have been able to see this (if he weren't severely vision-impaired and had been paying the slightest attention), but seemingly he didn't - or chose to ignore the option.

I am quite sure it must have taken him just as long to ascend and descend the long ramps on to the footbridge, batting past the hordes of pedestrians on their way back from lunch. But I suppose it must have been some kind of personal challenge for him - "Damn, I bet none of the other delivery guys has ever done this before! Woo-hoo!!"

No comments: