Sunday, December 07, 2008

Weekend silliness

I have lately been mocking my old friend The British Cowboy for his enthusiasm for the Star Wars series of films. I am at the opposite pole in my feelings for them: I so dislike the idea of them that I have made a point of never watching any of them. I don't think that debars me from criticising and deriding them, since I am well aware of their place in our popular culture (and, indeed, I have a pretty good idea what happens in them).

In digging out this Star Wars-themed cartoon, I was suddenly reminded of The Adam & Joe Show, one of the better late-night offerings on the UK's Channel 4 back in the late '90s. It followed the Wayne's World premise of two goofy friends (the comedians Adam Buxton and Joe Cornish), stuck in a perpetually teenaged mindset, hosting a homemade TV show from their bedroom. However, where the appeal of Wayne & Garth, such as it was, was mostly about the wackiness of their characters, Adam & Joe actually created a worthwhile show - apparently on a shoestring budget - full of endearingly daft content, including some very sharp parodies of films and TV programmes. One regular feature was a pastiche of a recent cinema blockbuster acted out with stuffed toys: I remember their Trainspotting and Saving Private Ryan (Saving Private Lion!) with particular fondness. Another weekly highlight (this is why they came to mind now) was a spoof of a popular TV show using Star Wars action figures: my favourites were Jedi Springer and Channel 4 game show The Crystal Maze (Yoda as Richard O'Brien - brilliant!). [Embedding disabled, unfortunately.]


Enjoy.

4 comments:

The British Cowboy said...

You have to remember, Froog, that I am significantly younger than you (and better looking too). Star Wars came at a formative time of my life, when you were already a cynical teen (or close enough to make no difference).

And the best "remake" of Saving Private Ryan must surely be the 'adult' version, Shaving Ryan's Privates.

Froog said...

I have heard of, but never seen Ryan's Privates. Thank you for lowering the tone yet again, Cowboy!

I was cynical well before I hit my teens. I think I may have been born cynical.

Please do not mention my age again. I may cry.

I don't object to anyone enjoying Star Wars as a flash-bang romp and/or a childhood-nostalgia binge. I just don't think the films are worth discussing as serious cinema (much less getting all snooty and reverential over them!).

I assume you missed out on Adam & Joe, Cowboy? I doubt if they ever made it across The Pond, even on PBS. Have you checked out the links yet? Jedi Springer is a stroke of genius.

The British Cowboy said...

What the Star Wars movies show you is George Lucas' huge strengths and his huge weaknesses. He tells a good story, in an entertaining way, with wonderful visuals. He is also utterly, utterly incapable of creating credible three dimensional characters or writing dialogue of any kind.

The British Cowboy said...

Oh, and do a Google search for Robot Chicken Star Wars.

Robot Chicken is Seth Green's show on the cartoon network late night block. It is generally very hit or miss, but they did a couple of episodes of Star Wars spoofs. It's all appallingly badly done animation with dolls - stop-motion I think it is called.