Monday, December 01, 2008

A restful image

I was lucky enough to stay here on my last visit to New Orleans 3 or 4 years ago - a bijou apartment complex just around the corner from Pirates' Alley in Le Vieux Carré, the 'French Quarter'. A friend of a friend keeps one of the small apartments on the second floor as a holiday home, and generously let me use it for free. The weather was mostly a bit grim on that trip - a grey and rainy February - and I spent a good deal of my time just sitting in that courtyard with a book, or enjoying the view looking down into it from the balcony above. It is a favourite memory that I often return to when in need of solace or relaxation.

There is a special name for those cooling fountains - which all New Orleans courtyards have - but I can't now for the life of me remember what it is. Bother. Is it a frigidor possibly? No, I don't think so. Can anyone help??

No comments: