Saturday, October 18, 2008

Return of The Shat

Or perhaps - I Shat myself again. No, perhaps not. Forgive me.

A couple of days ago, my peregrinations around YouTube brought me to this: a tuxedoed William "The Shat" Shatner performing an idiosyncratic interpretation of the Elton John song Rocket Man (in a TV show of the 1978 Science Fiction Film Awards - I suppose this would have been in a career lull for him, between the cancellation of the Star Trek TV series and the beginning of the film franchise). It's not quite so awe-inspiring as his version of Pulp's Common People that I found earlier this year, but it is.... interesting. It is, I gather, quite notorious in American popular culture, but it was a new discovery for me.

5 comments:

The British Cowboy said...

I cannot believe you have never seen this before...

Froog said...

Well, there's a first time for everything.

Has it ever been shown on British TV? I rather doubt it.

Of course, if you live in America for 15 years, your cultural life becomes so much richer...

The British Cowboy said...

Though I have still never seen an episode of Gilligan's Island, I Love Lucy, or The Honeymooners.

Froog said...

I Love Lucy used to be shown on British TV, on Saturday tea times, just before Dr Who. I remember hearing the theme music through the wall of the womb.

Anonymous said...

Shatner's great. He has done quite a few of these tongue in cheek songs. The really cool thing about it is that he did not do these things during a lull in his career. He put out an album of these songs in 1968 during the peak of his Star Trek fame.

It would have been so easy for someone in the role of Captain Kirk to have taken themself way too seriously, but Shatner has always poked fun at himself and continues to do so in his hilarious line of Priceline commercials.