Saturday, September 27, 2008

Not that I'm competitive or anything....

But..... my lovely friend and recording partner DD has decided to enter the 10km race in the upcoming Beijing marathon.

I gather she used to do a bit of running in her younger days (and she's still rather younger than me, darn it!). And she's in very good shape: she's a working mum, she cycles prodigious distances all over town, she does some kind of extreme yoga thing.

And now she tells me that, on only her 3rd or 4th effort around the circuit of Houhai and Qianhai lakes that I usually run, she managed a time of 28 minutes.

28 minutes??!! Damn, that's fast. At least, it is for me, these days.

Yesterday, of course, I felt compelled to try to better that time. And I didn't quite manage it - even though it felt like I was running myself into the ground!!

Well, I had had rather too big a lunch. And I am still plagued with this dratted throat infection. And I haven't been able to keep up much of a running habit all year. But even so, damn, that's frustrating.

If the dear girl tells me next week she's run it in 27'30", I'm going to be killing myself in the search for more speed! Oh dear.

No comments: