Monday, September 01, 2008

Clean air blues

I just got back from a jog around the lakes, and the clarity of the sky today is jarringly disconcerting. I don't think I've ever seen the ridges of the hills to the north and west of Beijing outlined so sharply. Looking south and east towards the Central Business District, I am shocked to find huge new buildings standing there - buildings that are some 5 or 6 miles distant, buildings I am not usually aware of from here, because they are never visible in such crisp detail and are often completely concealed in the enveloping haze. It induces dizzying moments of cognitive dissonance where you wonder, "Who put that there??" I don't recognise my own city on days like this!

I've caught the sun too. Ordinarily, even on the brightest days, there's always a fine haze at altitude that filters out most of the UV. I seldom develop much of a tan in Beijing, and I can't remember the last time I got burned. Until today......

Don't get me wrong. This weather's great, but.... it's strange.

No comments: