Monday, August 04, 2008

Reclaim the square!

What's wrong with me? Suddenly I'm feeling all warm'n'fuzzy about the dratted Olympics.

Of a weekend, the little square between the Bell and Drum Towers (the iconic pair of old Imperial watchtowers, just a short walk from where I live) is usually clogged with coach tours and hordes of tri-shaw drivers hungry for potential fares. But this weekend - NO. Either because the coaches have been temporarily banned from parking on the square (I know not), or simply because there are hardly any tourists at the moment (very likely), the square was for once free of this unsightly congestion - and could revert to what it should truly be, a leisure space for the local community: kids playing football, a young martial arts student practising his nunchuk routines, old codgers playing chess or cards or just generally chewing the fat. It is a delightful place to while away an hour or two in people-watching at dusk on a Sunday.

But then the brutally fierce spotlights they have erected to illuminate the Bell Tower by night for the next two months rather spoiled the idyll......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I've been a bitter one the past few weeks. It was good that I left or I think I would have gotten arrested or deported.

Froog said...

And you didn't even live in Beijing!

Were they getting all Olympic-cranky even in sleepy Zhengzhou??

Anonymous said...

Yes they were! It trickled down to us, it was quite annoying.