Friday, July 18, 2008

What will they think of next?

Yes, those endlessly inventive Japanese have now come up with square watermelons. Saves space in the fridge, don't you know? This is not a hoax.

I picked this up from the Wicked Thoughts blog back in April (go search the archives; unfortunately it doesn't seem to have links to individual posts) - another favourite time-waster, of late. Indeed, I suppose I should make it a 'Website of the Month' recommendation; but be warned: it is very profuse, and very addictive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember hearing about this a few years back. It freaks me out a little, although I imagine it would make cutting much easier. Just doesn't look natural though.

I wonder if they are seedless. Seems they only sell seedless watermelons in the grocery stores around here.

Froog said...

Ah, there you are, OMG. We haven't heard from you in a while.

No pips?! Well, that spoils half the fun, doesn't it? I always wished I could master that trick of spitting them out in a rapid-fire stream, like a machine-gun, the way they did in those old Warner Bros cartoons.

Water melons are ubiquitous here in China, and ridiculously cheap: only 30 cents or so each. And they have pips.