Thursday, June 12, 2008

Website of the Month

I recently happened upon the "it does exactly what it says on the label" Blogspot site, BoozeMovies.

This provided the inspiration for my 'bon mot of the week' over on The Barstool on Monday (which still no-one has identifed - come on, people).

Well worth checking out - for film fans, fans of drinking, fans of drinking while watching films, fans of drinking in films.....

I was especially interested in this recent post about the upcoming announcement of the American Film Institute's 10 'Top 10s' - a poll of the greatest (American) films in each of ten major genres. I am much in sympathy with Mr Boozemovie's own selection of favourites (just one in each category); but I suppose, in a spirit of individuality, I should come up with some different picks of my own.


Animation - The Lady & The Tramp

Fantasy - Brazil

Science Fiction - BladeRunner

Gangster - The Godfather

Western - Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid

Sports - Sea Biscuit (a tough category, this; I recently saw a basketball film called Glory Road which would also be a strong contender)

Romantic Comedy - Ninotchka

Courtroom Drama - Inherit The Wind

Mystery - Strangers On A Train (although I'd probably take the original Dutch version of The Vanishing in preference even to this, if we weren't confined to 'American' choices)

Epic - Spartacus (in fact, I probably concur with Boozemovies' nomination of Lawrence of Arabia, but I'm trying to be different here....)


Other suggestions? Cowboy?? Mothman?? Bookseller??


The AFI choices will air next Tuesday evening (17th June) on CBS.

1 comment:

garv said...

Thanks for the plug.

Cheers,
garv