Sunday, June 15, 2008

A dream home in Beijing

A young Dutch family of my acquaintance are taking a 6-month sabbatical from Beijing, but would like to keep up the lease on their charming hutong home, and so are looking for someone to sub-let from them - from next month to the end of the year.

But for my present (perpetual) shortage of funds, I would be mighty tempted to take it myself. I may just do so anyway, on a crazy impulse. Unless YOU know someone who'd like it......


It's a traditional Beijing siheyuan - a single storey home built around the four sides of a small open courtyard in the middle. It's hidden away in a nest of alleyways just off Jiaodaokou Nandajie, a great central location mid-way between The Forbidden City and the Yonghegong Lama Temple, and very close to the new Line 5 subway. It's been thoroughly modernised and tastefully fitted out with a mixture of modern European and traditional Chinese furniture. And it's blessed with all mod cons - air-conditioning, satellite TV, broadband Internet, etc. (Hmmm, the satellite TV alone is very tempting during the Olympics......)

And it's a snip at 10,000 RMB a month.


Drop me a line if you know anyone who might be interested (or if you want to goad me into taking it myself!).


[This could also be a short-term (though higher rent!) holiday let, I suppose, for anyone wanting to come here for the Olympics - although I'd rather concentrate on letting my own place for that first!]

3 comments:

NEGIN the artist side of me said...

I'm first!!!!!!!!!1

NEGIN the artist side of me said...

Oh, no one else to welcome me back and say that she's been too busy to comment first.
I don't remember her nickname, but you do Froog. What happened to her and to many of your other commentators? I haven't been reading the blogs for a very long time and it feels like goast town with not many comments to read.

Froog said...

Well, we're all a little crazy here in Beijing just at the moment, I'm afraid. A lot of people are having to leave the city. Those of us that are trying to stay are having to work stupid hours to earn the stupid money to pay the stupidly inflated 'arrangement fees' to secure our dodgy visas. And then some of us (well, me) are having mid-life crises.

And Blogger's been a bit crap lately (worldwide, I gather; although probably worse in China because the Internet gets insufferably SLOOOWED down by all the censorship), so a lot of people have given up trying to leave comments, because it's all too much hassle.

Some of my male college chums are still hanging out occasionally over on The Barstool, where a thread has recently developed about the European Football Championships.