Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A sign of the times

The Great Purges continue, with successive tranches of "undesirable elements" being kicked out of the country to make things more wholesome and "harmonious" for the upcoming Olympics. First it was the Africans (because, of course, they're all drug dealers!). Now it's English teachers (because, of course, they all take drugs!).

I heard tell a few days ago of a language school down south in Shenzhen that is having to close because it can't find any teachers. Just yesterday, I heard a similar rumour about one of the training schools here in Beijing. (Those of us that manage to hang on will have our pick of the work!!)

And so today, I witness the birth of a new phenomenon: EFL teacher recruitment spam! Yep, waiting for me in my Inbox I find not one but two begging letters from beleaguered Chinese language schools. How the heck did these guys get my e-mail address?? Honestly, I've never received anything like this before in all the years I've been here.


Interesting times, indeed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's a trap to get you to admit you are an English teacher, so they can kick you out.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid. But really, the idea of someone offering someone else a job out of the blue without having them jump through hoops and job search engines is just... surreal to me.

Froog said...

Yep, but that's China.

I am in fact dauntingly well-qualified, but I sometimes wonder if there's any advantage in that, since..... no-one here has ever asked to see my qualifications, or asked for a reference. I've very seldom even had an interview, and when I have it's been more a case of me interviewing them than vice versa - "OK, so when do you want me to start?"