Thursday, March 06, 2008

Irritating traffic behaviour (2)

I have been walking a lot lately. Therefore I have been suffering a lot of getting carved up by cars and bicycles cutting corners as they turn into sidestreets - in defiance of traffic lights, ignoring pedestrian crossings, without indicating or slowing down.

Somehow, it is the bicycles that annoy me more than the cars. In particular, I really, really hate the Beijing cyclist's penchant for insisting on aiming for the space ahead of the pedestrian rather than behind - even if they can see you are marching across the road quite briskly, even if the gap between you and the kerb in front is becoming tiny, even if this gap is on the left-hand side of the road (people are supposed to drive on the right here, but it is a rule commonly ignored, especially by cyclists) - the crazy bastards will still try to squeeze past in front of you, rather than behind, sometimes practically running over your toes.

It has happened to me three times today. I am seething.

No comments: