Friday, December 14, 2007

Wisdom of the studio

The oddball tapescripts we have to record to aid Chinese students in their English listening practice include lots of weird tidbits from the 'cutting edge' of scientific research. Today, for example, I learned the strange but chillingly plausible news that "educated men have more trouble sleeping than uneducated men".

Oh yes, there was quite a long dialogue on this fascinating topic. When it moved on to discussing gender difference in this matter, though, it all got a bit silly: apparently educated women sleep like logs, because they are happy with their earning power - and confident of finding themselves a wealthy husband, to boot. Hmmmm........

Quite promising for a 'controversy of the week', eh??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? None of your lady readers decided to jump on this and rage, to get the controversy going? Well, I guess if you had caught me when I was anti-man last week, I would have helped you out.

But today I'm okay with boys, and I don't have the energy anyway.

Froog said...

Dammit, OMG, that's so disappointing. I was relying on you. Can't you remember, or imagine, anti-man rage?