Monday, December 03, 2007

The counter ticks on

Wooo! That last post on one of my brilliant website ideas was No. 700 here on Froogville.

That's not a particularly fascinating number, is it?

(Does quick search on Wikipedia.)

No.

Well, it is, I learn, the sum of four consecutive primes (167 + 173 + 179 + 181).

And this post - which is, with a certain mathematical inevitability, No. 701 - is distinguished by being the sum of three consecutive primes (229 + 233 + 239).

This is interesting to enthusiasts of Number Theory, but not to anyone else. Sorry. I quite liked that story about Ramanujan on his deathbed proclaiming that all the numbers were his "personal friends", but that's the zenith of my enthusiasm in this field.

But, hey, the posts continue to pile up. Always scribble, scribble, scribble, eh, Mr Froog?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed, these are the exciting and momentous days of our lives.

I'm all for 700 and 701.

My keyboard may be silent for the last week or so, but I've been checking in to make sure you keep scribbling... We're coming up to my 1 year marker of stumbling across your blog. I wonder if that's noteworthy... shall I blog about it? shall I go public with my blog (again) to mark it? hmmmm.

Froog said...

Hmm, I wonder if anyone is going to get either of the references in this post?

Snopes?? OMG?? Moonrat?? TBC??

Anonymous said...

Godard or the Indian mathametician?

Froog said...

Godard?? As in Jean-Luc?!

You're going to have to explain yourself there, T. Sounds like you've been reading the wrong post. Or making a very eccentric connection to something in this.

Do you know anything about Ramanujan? You'll probably have to wait until Post No. 1,729 until I mention him again.