Sunday, December 09, 2007

Another poetry Sunday.....

I think I remarked a while ago that I found it strange I had not posted any Robert Frost on here.

This is one that's been jangling round my head quite a bit recently.

It's not, in fact, one of my very favourites, though. Frost, I think, has a lot of great lines; but the development isn't always completely satisfying to me. With this one in particular - I love the opening line so much, but rather feel that the rest of the poem didn't show up for the party.

One day, one day, I shall hi-jack this for a piece of my own.....



Acquainted with the night

I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain - and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.
I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
When far away an interrupted cry
Came over houses from another street,
But not to call me back or say goodbye;
And further still, at an unearthly height,
One luminary clock against the sky
Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
I have been one acquainted with the night.

Robert Frost (1874-1963)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm, maybe the "just didn't show up for the party" that your experiencing is the stillness of the night that this poem evokes.

homeinkabul said...

This reminds me of my walks with Tulsa in those quiet DC nights. Luminous and still.

Anonymous said...

homeinkabul :)

your "luminous" reminds me
of those two flashes of light in
the dark depth of rock creek woods,
followed by graceful limbs,
long and fluid,
gliding across Resevoir Road, startled,
in the calm stillness of the night,
by our chatter, hands painted red
with henna, happily walking
off the summer day's sweat,
"you're leading"
"oh, i thought you're leading", ooh,
light,
eyes,
calm,
stillness,
followed by a flash of limbs --
then it breaks -- gone behind
a forest's deep velvet curtain.

homeinkabul said...

beautiful... :)