Saturday, November 17, 2007

My name is Inigo Montoya...

I haven't posted a film clip for a while (well, I have an excuse - we were cut off from YouTube in China last month), so here's another old favourite for your enjoyment. I was recently reminded of it by The British Cowboy in this comment-thread over on the Barstool.

In William Goldman's hilarious revamp of the 'fairytale' genre, The Princess Bride, (20 years old this year?! God, that makes me feel my age!), the wonderful Mandy Patinkin plays the brooding Hispanic fencing maestro, Inigo Montoya - a man obsessed with finding and revenging himself on the mysterious "six-fingered man" who murdered his father years before. He has a little speech all worked out for when he finally confronts his quarry, which he gleefully rehearses several times during the story: "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Of course, when he finally tracks the guy down, it doesn't go quite according to plan....


Great sword fight!

(Although, according to my old friend Richard - who used to run the Fencing Club at one of England's leading private schools - 'expert opinion' in the field is that the all-time best film for convincing swordplay is the old Stewart Granger romp, Scaramouche. Best sword-fighting films would make a great 'Top 10' list, but I fear I am ill-equipped to make a judgement... I may undertake some research on this.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great film. Happy times.

Froog said...

I had thought Leah might get 'first comment' on this. I remember it is a big favourite of hers.... one of the first things that enticed her to comment over here.

Froog said...

I only just realised that Count Whatsisname, the "six-fingered man", is played by Christopher Guest!! How could that 'interesting fact' have escaped my attention all these years?

Mind you, he doesn't look a bit like Nigel Tufnel in this, does he?

Anonymous said...

Great movie. Gah, now I want to watch the whole thing.

"Anybody want a peanut?"

The British Cowboy said...

Never get involved in a land war in Asia!

Froog said...

Never go in with a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!