Saturday, November 10, 2007

My fantasy girlfriend - Queen Gorgo

I've commented before on my long-time crushette on the lovely Lena Headey, but her character in 300 was very nearly the perfect woman - drop-dead gorgeous, smart, determined..... and those skimpy costumes.....

Almost too tough, perhaps - one got the impression that she wore the trousers in the royal relationship there (well, not that any of them wore trousers in those days, but you know what I mean), that poor old Leonidas was a bit pussy-whipped. Oooh, Queen Gorgo with a whip - now there's a thought....

I think I could 'tame' her, though. I've never ducked out of a challenge of that nature.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I have to commend your choice, I suppose. She is quite the looker, and did kick some ass in 300.

moonrat said...

that's fine, i'll just take gerard butler.

moonrat said...

also 300 is possibly the best movie ever, ever.

Froog said...

Well, it's good to have some of my lady readers approve my choice here - and not just denounce me for my raging sexism.

I have to say, though, Moonrat: curb your enthusiasm there. I liked 300, liked it a lot - but it's not really up there with Kane and Strangelove and Lawrence and so on. There's not really much going on in there apart from style.

And Lena Headey in skimpy costumes...

Anonymous said...

She is stunning. Great photograph with the shadows and light across her face.

I've got to watch 300 as it comes up quite a bit, here, and I'm completely out of the loop on this one (as opposed to my normal loopiness regarding movies and music and such).

Anonymous said...

I saw 300 the weekend it opened, but only because it was required viewing. My hubby had been going around the house for a month in preparation, saying, "This. Is. S(h)partaaaa."

The movie was pretty good. Style was interesting. I liked that it was violent without being blood and guts gory. The fake blood was cool. Not to mention the numerous nicely built abdominals. And I'm not talking about Lena Headey's.

Froog said...

As a Classicist, I found the dispensing with the actual history of the event rather irksome.

As a moralist, I was particularly annoyed that the film kept harping on the idea of the Spartans as the champions of 'freedom' - repeatedly omitting to acknowledge the fact that they had only been able to build a pre-eminent warrior caste by enslaving all of their neighbours.

And as a comic-book-sceptic, I quickly grew weary of the triteness, the superficiality of the narrative.

It is a tremendous romp, though; and, in its visual design, one of the most striking films I've ever seen.