Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Sudden stopping

Following on from that last post, the other common behaviour of the Chinese that is especially irritating on the subway is suddenly stopping dead in your tracks, for no very good reason, in the midst of a dense crowd of people.

I say 'no good reason'. There's a reason of some kind for everything, and after all these years of 'China-watching', I have divined some of the most common ones.



"I must check my mobile phone for messages the instant I get off the train. Hmmm, I can't possibly do that without STOPPING dead in my tracks."

"Woo-hoo, I have received a text message. I'll STOP dead in my tracks to read it."

"Stairs! I always find these unfamiliar, confusing, and dangerous. I'd better STOP dead in my tracks for a moment or two while I try to remember how to ascend them. Now, do I start with the left foot or the right?"

"Oh, the top of the stairs! This is even worse. I can never get used to walking on the flat again. I'd better STOP dead in my tracks for a moment or two while I gather my thoughts."

"Oh, I'm directly in the middle of the train doors this time, and I'm the first person to get off, and there's a whole bunch of people behind me waiting to do the same. This would be a great time to STOP dead in my tracks."

"Oooh, there's a fast-moving foreigner just behind me. Wouldn't it be funny to STOP dead in my tracks now?"


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL...

Looks like I have quite the catching up to do with all these posts.