Friday, March 23, 2007

Why so much 'Where in the world?' of late?

Recently, there has been quite a blitz of pieces in my strand about this strange and wonderful country in which I now live. I think I should offer an explanation.

Well, partly, I think, it's just a case of making up for lost time. I was away from here, and not posting much, for nearly 5 weeks - so perhaps you're just getting 2 months or so of 'Where in the world's in the space of 1 month.

And yes, there's a general problem of me being too prolific for my own - or your - good this month, because I am without regular employment.

And perhaps the myriad petty vexations of life here are bearing down on me more than usual at the moment because I am feeling so vulnerable, so emotionally depleted.

The chief reason, though, is that I am planning to discontinue this series next month. YES - make the most of it, because it will all be over in another 8 or 9 days. I've kept up this insistence on anonymity for 6 months now, and it is, I admit, a somewhat odd pretence, a very artificial sort of 'game' - since almost all of my regular readers are friends of mine (many of them living here in The [still, for now] Unnameable Country with me) and know perfectly well where I live; and for any casual readers who don't know me, I think it is probably extremely easy to guess (at least, it is if you've ever been here!).

There are reasons why I have chosen to talk about my country of residence in this oblique way; reasons which I shall expound at a later date.

I choose now to abandon this policy not because I am regretting it or growing tired of it (I think it has many advantages when discussing life in this country, and I feel the 'Where in the world am I?' pieces have often been some of the best posts on this blog), but mainly because I am finding it rather limiting over on my other blog, Round-The-World Barstool Blues - I would like to be able to talk rather more fully and openly about some of my favourite bars and restaurants here on that blog, and the 'anonymity' policy is a bit of of an obstacle to that.

If you really don't know where I'm living, and are curious, watch out for the moment of revelation early in April!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

too much where in the world?! no such thing as you being too prolific for the good of your reader.

what! anonymity coming to an end?!

Froog said...

Tulsa, you're too kind.

Yes, I think I am going to "come out" next week - at least about WHERE I am, if not about who I am.