Friday, March 09, 2007

What would Zoltan do?

I don't do this very often. In fact, I've never done this before, and I may not do it again for quite some time. I am going to recommend someone else's blog!

In the last few months, I have made a new cyber-buddy here in the 'blogosphere' - a grad student in California called Leah. Her posting is infrequent (so, at least she doesn't overload you with too much to read, like me), but diverse in range, quirkily eclectic, and very well-written.

I particularly liked this recent post on the 'ethics course' her Faculty required her to take - in which the benchmark of moral rectitude is an elderly University gardener of Eastern European extraction called Zoltan. (Sorry, that name cracks me up. I know it's a perfectly legitimate and sensible name, but.... to me it always sounds like a Star Trek or Flash Gordon villain.) Honestly, read this and you'll soon find yourself, whenever faced with any kind of moral quandary, asking yourself not "What would Brian Boitano do?" BUT......
"What would Zoltan do?"

That would have been quite enough to keep a smile on my face for one week, but yesterday she dug up this absolutely brilliant video on Japanese sushi-shop etiquette. It would appear to be Japanese-made. If so, I find it very reassuring to learn that the Japanese do indeed have a sense of humour, and are capable of making fun of themselves. (If I discover it was made by non-Japanese I might have to reappraise my responses to it!)

4 comments:

argonox said...

Hey! That's me! Thanks for the props, cyber buddy :)

I feel I should forewarn you, though, that anyone who clicks over to my site today, will find not quirky fluff, as usual, but a whole lotta venom and daggers about a recent conversation I participated in at TPD... You'll see. It isn't pretty.

Froog said...

Well, I did say you were DIVERSE as well.

If the negativity gets too dispiriting, we can always watch the Japanese vid a couple more times to restore our good cheer.

Swordsman said...

Ah, remember Zoltan, Hound of Dracula, which begins with said pooch's origins as a vampire puppy, clawing its adorable widdle way out of the ground?

Good times, good times...

Froog said...

Ah yes, Swordsman, I mentioned the pooch from Hell on Leah's blog.

Did we spend a similar childhood - staying up to watch BAD old horror flicks on late-night TV?