Friday, March 30, 2007

Haiku Double-header

My 'professional' commenter, Tulsa, pointed out the other day that the agony of waiting for an answer from my prospective employer is much akin to that of waiting for a lover to call. That reminded me of this haiku, which I don't think I've posted on here before.


Waiting

Taunter, torturer;
Focus of all frustration:
Silent telephone.


I think that's quite an old one, written well before my frustrating liaison with The Poet last year - but that experience reminded me of it, gave it an acute contemporary relevance.

Of course, in this modern age of 'instant communication', when there are many more ways in which people can keep in touch with us - or fail to do so - the opportunities for this kind of self-torture are compounded. I can't imagine that the pangs were quite so intense, or at any rate not quite so continuous, back in the days when we were just waiting for a courier, a carrier-pigeon, a smoke-signal.

So, anyway, (BONUS haiku this week, to celebrate the restoration of Blogspot here in ****) here's one I was provoked to write by my experience with The Poet.



Always NO ANSWER:
Incommunicado Girl,
Wilful enigma.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haiku 1: well done - captured my 500 words worth in three lines and 17 syllables very well.

haiku 2: eh... maybe if i hadn't spent all my identifying-with-art-skills on #1, I'd see the depth of this one more - probably should just come back to it another day.

p.s. hmm, so now i'm the "professional" commenter - hmmm. I'll have to think about how I feel about this new description/title.