Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The experience of 'home'

Last summer I was reading 'The Book of Evidence' by the Irish writer, John Banville. A number of the rich descriptive passages in that have lingered long in the memory. My recent return to my childhood hometown has brought some of them to mind again particularly poignantly.

Like this:

"Surely this is a universal, this involuntary spasm of recognition which comes with the first whiff of that humble, drab, brownish smell, which is hardly a smell at all, more of an emanation, a sort of sigh exhaled by the thousands of known but unacknowledged tiny things that collectively constitute what is called home."

And a little later, this:

"I was thinking how strange it was to stand here glooming out at the day like this, bored and irritable, my hands in my pockets, while all the time, deep inside me somewhere, hardly acknowledged, grief dripped and dripped, a kind of silvery ichor, pure, and strangely precious. Home, yes, home is always a surprise."

No comments: