Sunday, December 31, 2006

A New Year poem

I just had a little noodle around on the Net (nothing else to do this chill and snowy morning!) to try to find a seasonally-themed poem for y'all...... but, god, New Year's poems are crap, aren't they?

So, I offer you one of my own instead - another of my 'freaky fables'. OK, so there's only a very indirect thematic link to this time of year, but no matter. This is the best I could do.

I hope you like this. Bathos, pessimism, a skewed take on conventional forms, a sly humour.... extreme brevity - yep, it has all of my hallmarks!


Wishing Well


We dig a deep dark hole
To toss our hopes into
Dig it so deep, deep, deep
It can never be full

The hopes in the well
Grow old and stale
But if we run short
Of hopes at home
Grow dry with despair
We may try to slake our thirst
With these old hopes

We lower our wish-bucket
Into the well

But it has a hole in it

No comments: