Monday, November 13, 2006

Worser and worser

After a 'hard day at the office', I return home to find that I am once again comprehensively locked out of Yahoo Mail.... and all things Google (including my 'for emergencies only' alternate e-mail addresses on Gmail).... and Wikipedia.

It may just be a temporary, and perhaps highly localized glitch that is victimizing only me; but I have my doubts - "It's only common sense: there are no 'accidents' round here."

If it is just me that is being denied the use of the more informative bits of the Internet, I am quite at a loss to imagine what I can have done to merit such oppression. (Unless some crazed bicycle lover in high places has suddenly got it in for me!)

If the whole country is being subjected to this lockdown, it becomes rather more worrying - whatever can it be that is happening out there in the wider world that 'they' don't want us to know about?

I am reminded of a favourite 'Punch' cartoon from back in the '70s: two fur-wrapped Eskimos (or do we have to call them 'Inuits' these days?) are standing outside their igloo near the North Pole, looking up into the enormous cloudless sky above them, watching anxiously as two nuclear missiles cross high overhead (one labelled USA, the other CCCP); one Eskimo comments to his companion, "It's times like this when I wish we had a radio."

Quite.

No comments: