Thursday, October 19, 2006

Where in the world am I? (8)

I am in a country where people forget to tell you things. All the time. Especially important things.

In fact, I think it is probably fair to say that there is a consistent formula at work here: the probability of people remembering to tell you something is inversely proportional to its importance.

Hence, it is impossible for your shoelace to come even slightly undone for more than a few seconds without having half a dozen people pursue you down the street trying to call it to your attention. (Maybe there's a local law against flapping shoelaces that I'm not familiar with? That might undermine my hypothesis rather....)

On the other hand, something like the start date for a new series of business English seminars would, you'd think, be worth mentioning. Well, OK, it has been mentioned several times, with varying degrees of vagueness and inconsistency: it was going to be "the beginning of September", and then "not till next year", and then "early October", and then "not this week after all, but maybe next". No-one ever actually said it was TODAY; not until an hour after it was supposed to have started.

And this from one of my most regular employers, the one school that I have previously admired for being comparatively competent and reliable. I had hoped for better from them; but I assure you that this is no freakish aberration: such monstrous oversights are absolutely routine, inevitable, ubiquitous here, both in state Universities and private training schools.

It's one of those things that you think you'll get used to in time; you know it's going to happen; you steel yourself for it..... and yet, every time, IT DOES YOUR HEAD IN!!!

No comments: